Qila Bala Hisar (قلعه بالا حصار) or Bala Hisar Fort is one of the most historic places of Peshawar. The word Bala Hisar is from Dari Persian, meaning, “elevated or high fort”. The name was given by the Pashtun King Timur Shah Durrani (1773–1793), who used the fort as the winter capital of the Afghan Durrani Empire, with the summer capital being in Kabul. The Sikh empire who conquered Peshawar in the early 19th century named it Samir Garh in 1834 but the name did not become popular. The Fort has been the headquarters of the Frontier Corps since 1949.
Qila Bala Hisar Peshawar
|Qila Bala Hisar Google Map|