Ashwagandha-Withania somnifera

Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is a medicinal plant in Solanaceae or nightshade family, which is widely used in Ayurvedic medicine. In Pakistan it grows wildly on fields sides and uncultivated lands and reach a height of about 5 to 6 feet. Ashwagandha is also known by a number of other names like Indian ginseng, Winter cherry, Ajagandha and Kanaje Hindi etc. In domestic language Pashto it's called Koti lal (Koti=ball, Lal= red), may be because of its red colored round fruit. In Urdu it's called Asgandha or Asgund.
I've grown a few Ashwagandha plants at my farmhouse this year. Now the plants are about three months old. I have grown them for personal use and will try to validate it medicinal properties. I'm also interested in growing it commercially, but I will first search for its market.

Ashwagandha-Withania somnifera
Ashwagandha-Withania somnifera Plant
Ashwagandha Plant
Ashwagandha-Withania somnifera Plant
Ashwagandha Plant
Ashwagandha-Withania somnifera Plant
Ashwagandha Plant
Ashwagandha-Withania somnifera Leaves
Ashwagandha Leaves
Ashwagandha-Withania somnifera FLowers
Ashwagandha Flower
Ashwagandha-Withania somnifera Fruits
Ashwagandha Fruits
Ashwagandha-Withania somnifera Fruits
Ashwagandha Fruits
Ashwagandha-Withania somnifera Seeds
Ashwagandha Seeds
Ashwagandha-Withania somnifera Root
Ashwagandha Root

10 comments:

Sharodindu said...

I never knew that the Ashwaganda and Poshta is the same...In Bengali we call it Poshto! Amazing...so many common things we do share...

Nice post!

Original Wood Door Maker in LA said...

Beautiful photos, especially of the berry details. I also like the description of the plant. So happy I stumbled here.

Bejeus said...

Very nice blog!
And I expect you to visit my blogs.

Zindagi said...

Hello nice blog

Here in himachal, last year Govt has distributed medicinal plants to every household to encourage greenery and reduce carbon footprints. We were given Ashwaganda plant, I am growing it in Pot and its been doing good!

Will post about it some time later

Thanks for following my blog.

thesimplekind said...

Nice pictures, good detail in them. I loved the info too, learn something new everyday!

Aijaz said...

First Of All Thanks For Wonderful Post. I got lot's of information about it. Kindly Can You Can Tell Me Where Can I Get Ashwagandha Root In Karachi?

Birdy said...

Thanks Aijaz for your visit and comment, much appreciated. Not sure about exact store in Karachi, but it's available almost at all Hakeem shops. It's known as Asgand, so you have to ask for Asgand.

HAMID awam said...

Thankyou sir,,you shared very useful information with us about Withania somnifera,,,sir you have also given some of its domestic names,,, please tell me where can i find this plant in peshawar or its nearby areas

Anna Mian said...

May i know from where i can get this plant.

Birdy said...

Sorry Anna Mian for the late response. The Ashwagandha Roots are commonly available in herbal stores in Pakistan and India. You have to ask for "Asgand" a local name of Ashwagandha.