Blue Banded Bee

Here are two pictures of Blue Banded Bee (Amegilla cingulata), I got last Summer. Because of their restlessness, Blue banded bee is a very difficult object for an amateur photographer like me. Moreover this specie is very rear in our area. Blue Banded Bee is an Australian native bee that belongs to the Anthophoridae family of insects. It's called Blue Banded Bee because of blue stripes on its abdomen . The male has five blue bands, while the female has four bands. Their head and thorax are covered with golden brown hair. They generally visit blue flowers and collect most of their nectar from blue flowers. They are also known as "Buzz pollinator" and have great significance for Agriculture.

Blue Banded Bee
Blue Banded Bee
Blue Banded Bee
Blue Banded Bee

7 comments:

√ Abraham Lincoln said...

This is a new one on me. I never saw one like this. It is a good macro shot too.

Nancy Bea Miller said...

Omigosh, never saw or even dreamed of anything like this! Thanks for sharing!

yen said...

great macro shot, and that is why they are known as Blue Banded huh! how educating.

kanak7 said...

I'm happy that these blue-banded bees are regularly visiting my garden. You've captured it well!

Anna said...

I have seen one before this bee. Thanks for sharing.

BTW I dropped by to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Lots, lots of happiness. Also I wanted to send warm thanks for being a good blogger friend. Anna :)

RWS Photo said...

a rare finding

amit said...

the bug is well shot..i liked the flower more :) amzing colours..

www.shariblog.com